Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Painting with Sound

This was probably one of the hardest projects I've done in a while. For some reason, I guess my brain just doesn't work in the way it needs to in order to create a successful soundscape. Emily and I had some trouble getting started and there was a slight learning curve for me, mainly concerning how to do in-depth sound editing on Final Cut. I looked at the project more rhythmically than abstractly. I kept finding myself thinking along the lines of creating a narrative out of sounds, only to remember that was exactly what we were not supposed to be doing. It ended up being all about patterns and repetition and learning through trial and error which sounds went good together and could envoke some sort of feeling or meaning.

I really enjoyed the screenings of everyone's projects in class. Although I couldn't exactly 'paint' an abstract image in my head while creating my own soundscape with Emily, I could definitely close my eyes and imagine all sorts of things while listening to everyone else's. Bravo to everyone's hard work that went into these projects.

1 comment:

silvashan said...

Im glad it was challenging. Always think of it this way...you learn nothing from things that come easy. Makes the hard stuff more enjoyable and gratifying.

And I agree, it was awesome to hear the scapes in class. I was knocked out.