Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I can't think of a good title because I'm too hungry

Assignment 1a was a lot more fun than expected. Everyone met at my place since it is reasonably quiet in Azalea Trace. I had written a list of ideas for cool sounds and we just kind of went with the flow. First was the ambient noises of the woods behind my apartment, and I had the great idea to shut off the noise-polluting AC units for all the apartments. So, all badass-like, I went over to the boxes on the outsides of the buildings near the units and switched all the big switches to 'off' because I knew that would shut off the ACs. The neighbors should be cool without air for 30-45 seconds, right? Anyways, we got our ambiance, and I immediately went back and switched all the breakers back on.

After we got back inside, we all heard a very strange screeching sound which turned out to be my battery backup going nuts. So then we realized I had just shut off all of the power for all the apartments in the two buildings...We were fully prepared to record some good audio of the neighbors yelling at me. Woops.

We went to Target and just kind of waltzed in with the equipment and asked to talk to a store manager to give us permission to record. That went smoothly so we got some great stuff in there from the front registers and snack bar. After the group got back to my place we rolled on through all the SFX and voice based sounds pretty quickly, getting most all of the recordings we needed for the project in about 2 and a half hours or so. Jordan was the man and went and did some guerilla recording of conversations for more voice based in order to finish the project up. Overall, very smooth sailing, and we all got some good experience with the sound equipment.

Sweet, time for some food..

No comments: